Chocolate and strawberry roll: a delicious treat for Valentine’s Day
For a special Valentine’s Day, you can prepare a delicious and light chocolate and strawberry roll.
Photo: flickr.com by Pest15 is licensed under CC BY-SA 2.0.
Unlike traditional rolls, this recipe from the Grand Culinary website does not require much time and effort, and even a beginner in cooking can handle it. Instead of using a regular sponge cake, you’ll use crushed cake mixed with cheese frosting, which avoids the risk of cracking or crumbling when rolling.
This recipe uses a store-bought cake mix, but the end result will look and taste delicious. The roll is covered with chocolate glaze and decorated with pieces of frozen strawberries. This is the perfect Valentine’s Day treat to enjoy the taste of fresh berries even in the middle of winter.
For this recipe you will need the following Ingredients:
— 1 package (530 g) of dry mix for white sponge cake (+ all necessary ingredients for preparing the mixture),
– 110 g unsalted butter at room temperature,
– 110 g cream cheese at room temperature,
– 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar,
– 1 package (45 g) frozen strawberries (+ some for decoration),
– 0.9 kg dark chocolate, cut into small pieces,
– 2 tablespoons refined coconut oil or shortening.
You will also need a 37.5 x 23 cm cake pan.
So let’s get started cooking:
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Spray a 22x32cm pie pan with cooking spray.
- Prepare the biscuit dough according to package directions and pour into the prepared pan. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a wooden skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- In a separate bowl, using a mixer fitted with a paddle, cream together the butter and cream cheese (or use an electric hand mixer). Beat on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add powdered sugar. Increase speed to medium-high and beat until frosting is fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Crush the sponge cake in a large bowl. Add ¼ cups of frosting and mix well with your hands until smooth.
- Pre-cover a 37.5 x 23 cm pan with cling film. Spread the roll “dough” into the pan. Then cover it with another piece of film and carefully spread it over the entire surface of the mold to get an even rectangle.
- Transfer the “dough” mixture to a work surface and carefully unfold the rectangle using cling film to create a smooth surface. Using a ruler, make straight edges. The size of the “dough” should be approximately 25×37.5 cm.
- Grind the frozen strawberries in a spice grinder and add them to the bowl with the remaining frosting. Mix well to obtain a homogeneous mass.
- Remove the top film from the “dough” and spread the strawberry glaze over the entire surface, leaving about 4 cm free on one far edge.
- Carefully roll the roll, starting from you and, using the film to help, wrap it inside. Transfer the roll to a baking sheet and place it in the freezer to set.
- In a heatproof bowl, combine dark chocolate and coconut oil. Set the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until the chocolate and butter are completely melted and combined, about 6 minutes.
- Remove the bowl from the pan and let the chocolate mixture sit and set slightly for about 7 minutes.
- Unroll the roll and transfer it to a wire rack placed over a baking sheet. Drizzle chocolate icing to completely cover the surface of the roll. Top with sliced frozen strawberries.
- Place the roll in the freezer for 5 minutes until the chocolate hardens completely. Then carefully transfer it to a serving platter and cut into slices. Serve chilled. Bon appetit!