Official representative of the Russian Foreign Ministry Maria Zakharova. Photo: Sergey Fadeichev/TASS
Briefing September 19, 2023 official representative of the Russian Foreign Ministry Maria Zakharova began with the message that tomorrow the official visit of the Russian Foreign Minister begins Sergei Lavrov to New York to participate in the 78th session of the UN General Assembly.
– The possibilities of the political week are such that the number of meetings may increase. We will promptly inform you about all contacts,” Zakharova added, explaining that Lavrov’s work schedule in New York currently includes more than twenty bilateral negotiations.
Here are the most interesting quotes from today’s briefing by the official representative of the Russian Foreign Ministry.
On the US President’s proposal to reform the UN Security Council
– Everyone has been talking about reform of the UN Security Council for a long time. Well, I don’t know, perhaps US President Mr. Biden learned about the relevance of this topic only now. It’s not for me to judge, but in general this topic has been on the agenda, in my opinion, for ten years now. If not more. The question is how to carry out this expansion or reform. We have already built our position on this matter. Expansion should not be done simply for the sake of the process. And it certainly should not lead to a deterioration in the work of the UN Security Council, which, as you can see, periodically passes with difficulty… We constantly emphasize the need for reform of the UN Security Council in order to adapt to modern realities. We are actively participating in the relevant intergovernmental negotiations in New York. Let me remind you that they have been going on since 2009… Serious contradictions remain between the countries. All this needs to be painstakingly worked through and overcome… Analyzing the current international situation, we can also say that the necessary conditions for specific steps on this track, alas, have not yet developed.
On the escalation of the situation in Nagorno-Karabakh
– For our part, we confirm our commitment to the Russian-Armenian alliance and our readiness to build up various practical steps for interaction with Yerevan… We are deeply alarmed by the sharp escalation of the situation in People’s Karabakh. There are reports of Azerbaijani armed forces launching what Baku claims are anti-terrorism measures in the region and retaliatory actions by local Armenian armed forces. The Russian side urges the conflicting parties to stop the bloodshed, immediately cease hostilities and return to the path of political and diplomatic settlement… There is a solid legal basis for the implementation of everything that has been agreed upon. Not just oral agreements – written, recorded ones. Talking about exact timing or specific parameters for developing a peace treaty, how it will be developed and signed, I think, may turn out to be counterproductive. What is important, and what will be really productive, is to implement everything that has been documented. We have already repeated and repeat again: the document must ensure a balance of interests between Azerbaijan and Armenia in order to serve the main goal, namely to establish a lasting, sustainable peace in the region.
About demining “live”
– A few days ago, eerie footage went viral on the Internet showing Ukrainian militants driving two prisoners in Russian army uniform towards a minefield. After some time, one of the Kiev regime, the so-called serviceman of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, although after what he did, he automatically becomes a criminal, and not some non-serviceman, opens fire in their direction. Then there is an explosion. All this, at the instigation of the Kyiv regime and all those who have been working for it for many years, is accompanied and immediately overgrown with inscriptions and formulations that demining should happen this way – live. Let me remind you that similar heinous crimes were committed by the Nazis during the Great Patriotic War. Today, their followers in Ukraine are diligently adopting these savage practices of Hitlerism.
On negotiations without negotiations
– Zelensky’s next tour is expected in the near future. Now in the USA. The media are reporting that he is scheduled to meet with President Biden… Obviously, the Kiev dependent beggar in every sense is going to beg for money and, accordingly, weapons from his American masters again… So what now? This pantomime called “Zelensky’s peace plan” and, as it were, negotiations without negotiations, but in fact a decision on even greater supplies of weapons to the region. Then there is no need for those who were gathered under some kind of peace plans to deceive. We need to tell them directly, the next time we gather them for some meetings of working groups, that we are actually talking about pumping the region with even more weapons.
About Blinken and Pushkin
– In Kyiv, a memorial plaque to the great Russian poet A.S. was dismantled. Pushkin… At the same time, the Kiev regime with great zeal installs similar signs in places where their Western masters have visited. For example, last week at an American chain fast food restaurant. The US Secretary of State dined there. I’m not kidding… No, well, it’s clear – where is Blinken and where is Pushkin! For Ukraine it is obvious who is more important. After all, Pushkin awakened good feelings in people with his lyre, and Blinken supplies weapons. The difference is, of course, obvious.